Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Memories- Grandma Budd

A year ago today I lost my grandma. She was like you imagine a grandma to be like, and more. She had so many amazing qualities, I can't even name them all. I lived with my Grandma Budd for almost 10 years from when I was 11 until I was 19. She was always kind, never once did I hear her yell or really get mad. She loved EVERYONE! And anyone who met her, loved her. How could you not? I love telling people about her.

 
 
Grandma Budd as a child (1927)
 
 Merle Viola Stout was born November 2, 1924. She was the 2nd child to Dewey and Viola Stout. At the age of 13 Merle was with her best friend Frances Budd and met Frances' brother Jerry. He was 18, out of school and working full time. There was an age difference. . . But they fell in love.


Before Grandpa left to the Army (1941)
 
They do have quite the love story to tell, but that is for another day. I do want to say I have never seen a couple more in love or dedicated to each other than Grandma and Grandpa. 
 
 
 
Finally getting married (1945)
 
Grandpa served in WWII and she waited for him for 4 years. He got home October 31, 1945 and they were married 7 days later on November 7, 1945.
 
 
Grandma doing something she loved (1943)
 
Grandma loved riding horses, playing basketball, eating icecream at Snelgrove's, hiking, laughing with her friends, writing letters to Grandpa, going to church and fufilling her callings. She worked at Fort Douglas and the State Prison. This was in her younger years.
 
 
Grandma and Grandpa with my youngest McKenna Mae (2010)
 
The grandma that I knew she was funny, sweet, giving, loved Genealogy, stories, the scriptures, going to the temple almost weekly, even though the depression ended long before I still saw her eating bread torn apart with milk over it. She loved Graham Cracker with frosting, which is why we always called her GramCracker. She was always there to talk or listen. Grandma loved the colors red and purple. She wasn't rich or famous, but she was a person every one should have known. She was my grandma, and I am so lucky to have had her in my life. To have lived with such a person every day. To see a true light shine.




 

picture taken by my brother Joshua Dennis (2011?)
 
I think of Grandma every day. I miss her so much. I have also felt comfort since she has been gone, and I know that she is still there caring and watching out for us. I miss you and love you Grandma. Thanks for your amazing example.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great tribute. I bet there were many wonderful letters between your grandparents during the war years. They would be interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather Kuhn Roelker, Yes I love every single letter. My grandparents gave them to me about 8 years ago. I am writing their story and using the letters in the book. Although they don't have any of my grandma's letters to him, he had to burn them at a point in the war. Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete